[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Staff client software vs. web-based interface

Lazar, Alexey Vladimirovich alexey.lazar at mnsu.edu
Thu Sep 20 11:28:17 EDT 2012

Hello. I was browsing the http://evergreen-ils.org/downloads.php page and some linked areas, looking at all the different staff clients that are available and not available, and it got me thinking...

Based on the fact that the Evergreen project releases come with the staff client only for Windows, does that make Evergreen Windows-only software? I see that there are some instructions for Mac and Linux on the downloads page in various states of freshness. I also see that Sitka provides pre-built clients, which is great, thanks. In terms of answering prospective customer questions, I think my answer is Windows-only, right?

What is the reason for lack of "official" releases of staff client software for Mac OS (and Linux)?  Is it strategy, because there is no need, or like with some other things, not enough volunteers?

I was also curious if anyone could outline for me some benefits of using staff client software vs. a web-based administrative interface. I can easily think of some disadvantages, like lack of cross-platform compatibility, maintenance overhead, additional dependencies, but I'm guessing there are some advantages as well?

Thanks.

Alexey Lazar
PALS
Information System Developer and Integrator
507-389-2907
http://www.mnpals.org/