[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] pgAdmin usage?

Ben Shum bshum at biblio.org
Fri Sep 21 13:01:38 EDT 2012

Hi Tony,

We've been using pgAdmin all along to work with our PostgreSQL
databases.  Personally, I've liked having a graphical view of certain
tables.  It also gave me a bird's eye of the various inner workings of
the tables too without knowing all the SQL syntax required.

The most annoying thing that can go wrong with using pgAdmin in my
experience is opening a table to view all rows and not remembering said
table contains thousands (if not millions) or entries.  Like clicking
view all on biblio.record_entry would show me every bib record in my
database.  Doing so tends to crash out pgAdmin as it tries in vain to
open all the rows for me.  I've taken care to using "view 100" to only
get a sampling of a table.

Of course, depending on your permissions, you can accidentally change
data in tables, so one should be careful when clicking around too.

-- Ben

On 9/21/2012 12:03 PM, Tony Bandy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Working on increasing my knowledge of Evergreen's inner workings, I've
> come across some threads on using pgAdmin to do various db tasks and
> queries.  Just wanted to pitch this out there and get anyone's
> thoughts on the pro vs. con of using this particular tool vs. console
> usage.
>
> Good tool or dangerous?
>
> Thanks for your thoughts.....Happy Friday!
>
> Tony

> Tony Bandy
> tonyb at ohionet.org <mailto:tonyb at ohionet.org>
> OHIONET
> 1500 West Lane Ave.
> Columbus, OH  43221-3975
> 1-800-686-8975 x19 <tel:1-800-686-8975%20x19>

Benjamin Shum
Open Source Software Coordinator
Bibliomation, Inc.
32 Crest Road