[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] What should be done during unexpected library closings?

Andrea Buntz Neiman aneiman at kent.lib.md.us
Wed Apr 24 16:32:33 EDT 2013

We also backdate when checking in items. However, we go ahead and add an
entry in the closed date editor to ensure that fines do not accrue on those
days we are closed.  I should add that we usually are able to put this
closed date into the system at least one day before the closed date. I am
not sure  if the closed date can be entered the same day and fines not
accrue.

Cristina

It's been my experience that if you put the closed date in day-of, it
does NOT affect the fines for that day.  At least in our setup, the
fines had already been charged for that day.

There is a way to post-void the fines in batch through a back end
process; ESI did it for us so I don't know the technical details.

This is useful if, say, an item is due Monday, you're closed
(unscheduled) Wednesday, and the item is returned on Thursday.  In our
system, we would want to charge fines for Tuesday & Thursday but not
Wednesday.  They can be manually voided in the patron billing statement,
but it's asking a lot of front line staff to do that (especially if it's
a patron with multiple overdues).

Perhaps an "Unscheduled Closing" option in the future that will trigger
those post-voids, suspend notices (as Yamil mentioned in OP), add an
extra day to hold-shelf expirys, etc.?

Two cents.

A.

Andrea Buntz Neiman, MLS