[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen & Software Performance Analysis

Joshua D. Drake jd at commandprompt.com
Thu Aug 8 14:01:27 EDT 2013

On 08/07/2013 10:12 AM, Rogan Hamby wrote:
> I'm guessing maybe Joshua doesn't keep track of the list serv but is
> there someone else from Command Prompt or whomever they did the
> development work for that could chime in?  When he says they've made
> improvements do those include GPLed code?

Sorry folks, I do watch this list but not as much as the postgresql
lists. We have also been very busy. Here are some of the basic things we
have done:

1. Optimized the postgresql.conf, it is amazing how much you can get
from some minor tweaks after some performance analysis.

2. Converted some of the procedures to C, for example translate_isbn1013

3. Modified the holds process to use a look up table.

4. Changed the process for holds so they don't indefinitely exist but
get migrated out for reporting but does not affect performance of the
active table.

5. Partitioning of larger tables

6. Upgraded versions of PostgreSQL to more modern versions (this can
also result in noticeable gains in performance).

7. Lots of query tuning, adding indexes where appropriate, increasing
maintenance on particular tables to reduce bloat more aggressively etc...

As well as various other things (stabilizing the system so there isn't
weird overloads, unexpected apache load events etc..). It certainly has
been a rather wild ride over the last 9 months as we get further and
further into the adventure that is the Evergreen software.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579