[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] alpha1 turns to alpha2 [RM2.5]

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Mon Aug 12 20:42:07 EDT 2013

Hello all,

I would like to provide a quick alpha1 update, and also explain the current intentions for an alpha2 milestone.

First, their really wasn't enough energy behind alpha1, and that was mostly my fault. As I said in IRC on Friday, I thought I could teach a music camp and still do the same level of RM duties; turns out I could not :)  I do appreciate those who were able to put more into alpha1 than I could, and we still made some good strides.  You can read all about it here:

https://launchpad.net/evergreen/+milestone/2.5.0-alpha1

Nevertheless, for the first time, we took a step or two backwards regarding the number of outstanding tickets.  Because I that, I am not really comfortable calling the next milestone beta1, and have instead relabeled it as alpha2.  To make room for this extra milestone and still have hope of a September general release, alpha2 will be a very short cycle.  The last day to target bugs at alpha2 will be this Friday, 8/16.  Then next week will be the commit push, with the goal of having alpha2 wrapped up by 8/23.

Finally, at some point this week, I intend to have an actual alpha1 tarball available for download.  Please be patient as I learn what is involved in actually packaging a release.

As always, feedback and suggestions about the whole release planning process are welcome.

Thanks!
Dan