[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Shelving location searches in upcoming releases

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Fri Aug 16 09:43:43 EDT 2013

Hi Sara,

I was a little busy yesterday and only had time to send out an e-mail
about the copy location code that has been submitted, however I do want
to take some time to address your initial comments.

> I have heard that the staff client search screens are going away / no
> longer being developed and that collective energies are being put into
> developing the public side search access.

I don't know the circumstances under which this information was conveyed
nor do I know the details of your Evergreen implementation. However,
after re-reading your e-mail this morning, I'm guessing that you are
probably on an Evergreen instance where the template toolkit catalog is
being used as the public catalog while the older, javascript catalog is
still being used in the staff client.

I thought it might be useful if I gave some background into the reasons
behind the change. The move to template toolkit was made to improve
catalog performance as well as to make it easier for sites to customize
the catalog. I don't know about you, but, when we were on the javascript
catalog, we saw many of our searches resulting in blank white screens
that needed to be reloaded. That problem has gone away in the template
toolkit catalog, and we've seen better performance in the catalog than
we did with the javascript catalog. I personally also find that the
interface is much friendlier in the template toolkit catalog, but I
guess that's a matter of opinion.

There was never an intent to make the template toolkit catalog a public
catalog with the javascript catalog being a staff client catalog, though
some sites may have chosen to implement it that way during the
transition to template toolkit.  Many features more heavily used by
staff were carried over from the javascript catalog to the template
toolkit catalog, including the numeric search and the MARC expert
search. In fact, there are some new features that staff might find
useful, like the recent search history that is only available in the
staff client.

Indeed, there are some features that did not make it from the javascript
catalog to the template toolkit catalog. We've been keeping a list at
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=dev:opac:template-toolkit:plan
with corresponding Launchpad bug entries for each of the features. The
features weren't intentionally omitted in an effort to make the catalog
friendlier to the public. Instead, it's really a result of the fact that
the developers were building a new catalog from the ground up, and it
takes time to build in all of the features we want to carry over from
the previous catalog.

If there are other features from the javascript catalog that people are
sorely missing, I recommend that you add your voice by posting comments
on the corresponding Launchpad bug entries or clicking the "affects me
too" link.

> This is also critical for retrieving statistical information.

I would not recommend using the catalog as a reporting tool. Once you
hit a certain number of results, the results retrieved count will be an
estimate, much in the same way that Google estimates the total number of
search results. Your best bet is to use the staff client reporting tool
to retrieve statistical information on copy locations.

Feel free to let us know if you have any other questions or concerns! I
think it's important that we have an open discussion about these issues
so that we can continue to tweak and improve the catalog.

Kathy

Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator
klussier at masslnc.org