[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Display of canceled line items in acquisitions

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Tue Dec 3 09:31:01 EST 2013

Hi all,

Based on feedback from the acquisitions staff here in Massachusetts,
MassLNC is considering a small development project that would change the
way canceled line items display on a PO. I wanted to get some feedback
from the Evergreen acquisitions community in case people like the way it
currently displays.

The concern from our acquisitions staff is that line items display as
canceled even in cases where the order isn't truly canceled. This
scenario most often occurs in cases where a title is backordered. You
identify something as being backordered by marking it as canceled and
then identifying the cancel reason as backorder quantity. The status of
the line item then displays as canceled, even though the library fully
expects to receive the title at some future date.  Acquisitions staff
find this label misleading and confusing, and, at times, it has led to
some extra time in their workflow as they ascertain whether the line
item is truly canceled and needs to be re-ordered through a different
vendor.

In 2.5, there have been some improvements in the PO display, with the
cancel reason displaying to the right of the title (see attached image)
and a different background color used for truly canceled line items and
those that are just delayed. These changes should address the problem
with added time in the workflow. However, the canceled status still
displays, and we believe it continues to be a misleading label for the
status of the line item.

We would like to suggest that, in cases where the line item is canceled,
that the cancel reason display in the status column of the PO instead of
displaying the status as canceled. For example, in the attached image,
"backorder quantity" would display in the status column for the first
line item and "not accepted" would display for the second line item. In
the case where line items are not canceled, we would like to continue to
see the line item status display there.

Would there be any objections to pursuing this approach? Are there
reasons I'm not thinking of where it would be beneficial to display the
status as canceled for line items that are delayed?

Thanks!
Kathy

--
Kathy Lussier