[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Help with Org Unit Proximity Adjustments

Smith, Kathleen Kathleen.Smith at sjvls.org
Thu Dec 12 14:38:16 EST 2013

Hi all,

I'm trying to prioritize holds in our 10 system consortia so holds for System A's branches are filled with System A's copies first in hold order (FIFO) - regardless of pickup location. But once System A's holds have been filled, their copies are then available to fill holds at System B, or C or D's branches. I think work was done in the past year re: org unit prox and best hold selection to address this need.

Right now we're just using the default org unit prox adj and Traditional best hold selection sort order for the consortia. This works fine for targeting and/or if there's no holds queue. But if there's a queue, holds at popular pickup locations in System A are filled first.  Holds at smaller, less busy, isolated branches may eventually be filled, but they're often last in line.

I think these 2 functions are the key to reprioritizing holds within a System, but I'm not sure how to start. Do I make the proximity zero btwn each branch within System A? Relative or Absolute? Then set System A to FIFO best hold selection? Will that leave the default unit prox adj intact between Systems? Can I still set the Consortia to use Traditional best hold selection?

I'd appreciate any advice if you've been able to configure your holds in the way I described. Thanks.

Kathleen Smith, Associate Systems Librarian
San Joaquin Valley Library System
2420 Mariposa Street, Fresno, CA 93721
kathleen.smith at sjvls.org
559-600-6256