[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] egcon2013 update: full program (mostly) now online

Tara Robertson information.detective at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 15:10:41 EST 2013

*Register now*

We are getting close to capacity, so register now:
http://eg2013.evergreen-ils.org/registration/

*Some program highlights*

Almost all of the conference program, with session descriptions and speaker
bios, is now up on the website: http://eg2013.evergreen-ils.org/schedule/

*Accidental DBA – workshop with PostgreSQL core team member Josh Berkus
(with help from Anoop Atre) *
So, you’ve installed Evergreen, and are now proud owner of a PostgreSQL
server. Congratulations? Few libraries have the budget for a full-time or
contract DBA to manage the databases which come with Evergreen. If you’re
in this situation, never fear! *
http://eg2013.evergreen-ils.org/schedule/session-descriptions/#accidental*

*Ol’ Time Acquisitions Rodeo and Variety Show – Bill Erickson and Angela
Kilsdonk*
As more and more libraries begin using Evergreen Acquisitions features, a
clearer picture emerges of how the software will be used in libraries and
how features should operate. This helps us more clearly define areas of new
development, including new features and improvements to existing
interfaces. In this session, we will cover Admin set-up of the Acquisitions
module and possible Acquisitions workflows in Evergreen.
http://eg2013.evergreen-ils.org/schedule/session-descriptions/#rodeo
*
*
*How to GITify your changes: the easy peasy lemon squeezy way - Melissa
Lefebvre *
Have you made all these great changes to your OPAC and staff client only to
lose them when you upgrade versions? Have you written down all your cool
changes and then spent hours redoing all your work for your upgrade? Or
have you done things on the fly and then forgotten to record the changes
and then upgraded? Join Melissa Lefebvre from Bibliomation as she explains
GIT for the Windows user so that you no longer lose your super cool changes
http://eg2013.evergreen-ils.org/schedule/session-descriptions/#gitify

*Social events*
To start thing off, we will be having an Opening Reception in a fabulous
room in the hotel on Wednesday evening, sponsored by Equinox. Thursday
night is the big social event of the conference where we booked the Steamworks
Brew Pub Uber Lounge <http://steamworks.com/brew-pub> in historic Gastown
for an evening of hearty appetizers, craft beers, and ocean views. Thanks
to Equinox and Catalyst for sponsoring the opening reception and social
event.  More information and photos:
http://eg2013.evergreen-ils.org/social-events/

The conference takes place on the edge of historic Gastown, where there are
lots of great places to eat and drink:
http://www.urbanspoon.com/n/14/1307/Vancouver/Gastown-restaurants As we get
closer to the conference we'll post a Google Map of our recommendations.

*Passports/visas*

For Americans, you will need a passport to travel to Canada. We are, after
all, a foreign country. You can delight in our bilingual packaging in
stores once you arrive. US citizens do not need a visa to visit Canada.

For people who are not American or Canadian, please check the Canada
Citizenship and Immigration page to see if you need a visa:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

If you need to apply for a temporary resident visa you will need a letter
from us inviting you to the conference. Please contact me off list with if
you require a letter. I will need:

   - your full name as it appears in your passport
   - your job title
   - your work address

Let me know if you have any questions about the conference.

Cheers,
Tara