[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Asynchronous checkins

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Thu Feb 7 17:45:42 EST 2013

Hi all,

I was wondering if somebody could tell me what the purpose is of the
Fast Entry (Asynchronous) check in option. My understanding is that it
allows staff to quickly check in items without waiting for a response
from the server for each checkin. If it's used, does the system suppress
transit slips and alerts? What happens if there is some disruption in
the network connection and the checkin isn't ultimately successful? Will
the system provide some kind of sign to that user that the checkin
wasn't successful?

Is there anyone who has been using it regularly and, if so, what has
your experience been with it?

Since one MassLNC consortium upgraded to 2.3, they have had repeated
reports of items that were scanned in, but were ultimately never checked
in. We haven't pinpointed it yet, but, in many cases when this report
was made, the asynchronous checkbox was selected. I'm wondering if
others have had a similar experience.

Thanks for any insight you might be able to provide!

Kathy

--
Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator