[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] [OPEN-ILS-DEV] Evergreen & Software Performance Analysis

Joshua D. Drake jd at commandprompt.com
Wed Feb 20 14:36:00 EST 2013

On 02/20/2013 11:26 AM, Mike Rylander wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 2:10 PM, Kathy Lussier <klussier at masslnc.org
> <mailto:klussier at masslnc.org>> wrote:

> So, why have ESI involved at all?  Besides the fact that we create a
> significant portion of the code, and that it benefits us as much as
> anyone to have a more stable Evergreen, there is a need for ongoing,
> active leadership in QA.  The fact is that it has not materialized yet,
> so we're looking for a way to make that a maintainable proposition for
> the community's benefit.  That means ongoing, deep integration with both
> developer and user communities.  And that is not something that we can
> expect from OmniTI or any other organization that is not plugged into
> those communities.  Could some other organization step into that role,
> and provide years of ongoing QA support?  Perhaps so, but ESI exists
> today and has the Evergreen expertise needed to avoid long (and costly)
> ramp-up time.

There are two very good reasons for people to not use a software's
origin vendor. This is not a reflection of that vendor as it is a
reflection of any software community.

1. The origin is not going to be an expert in every technology required
to run Evergreen. They are an expert *IN* their software (in this case
Evergreen) which is a very different thing.

2. An outside vendor is objective. It can look at code, architecture,
queries, models and say, "Woah... what were they (whoever they are)
thinking here?"

Sincerely,

JD

P.S. And for the record, OmniTI is a competitor of ours and I bow in
honor to their level of professionalism and expertise.

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC
@cmdpromptinc - 509-416-6579