[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] [OPEN-ILS-DEV] Evergreen & Software Performance Analysis

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Mon Feb 25 11:44:25 EST 2013

Hi all,

Having heard no objections to proceeding with finding somebody to do a
software performance analysis, I have created a page on the wiki at
http://www.open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=dev:testing:performance_issues
where we can identify the pain points that need further evaluation and
add any questions that we hope a performance analysis might be able to
answer.

I have started the list off with some basic issues/questions that have
come up in our own systems. During the future of the staff client
meeting, Dan Scott had mentioned that there might be three points of
attack:client, opensrf, database.  I thought dividing the list into
those three areas might be a good way to start.

I'm hoping that all the knowledgeable sys admins out there who have a
stronger understanding of the system architecture than I do can build
this list into something that might be a good starting point for any
performance evaluation, whether it's done by a third party or by
somebody in the Evergreen community. By identifying the questions we
hope a performance evaluation might answer, we are also identifying what
our expectations are before we enter the process. I would want to be
clear on our expectations before formally talking to any third party so
that we can be fully informed about whether an evaluation could meet
those expectations.

Kathy

Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator