[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] [OPEN-ILS-DEV] Evergreen & Software Performance Analysis

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Wed Feb 27 11:37:47 EST 2013

Hi all,

It was brought to my attention that everyone who may have some input for
this discussion may not have an Evergreen wiki account. In that case,
please feel free to send an e-mail (to the list, not directly to me)
identifying any performance issues you believe should be addressed
through a performance evaluation. I'll be happy to add them to the wiki.

What I'm looking for is:

1. Any specific paint points you see in performance.
2. Any specific questions you think a performance evaluation should answer.
3. Any ideas you might already have regarding causes of performance
problems. In reading through the logs from the "future of the staff
client" meeting, I noticed several people said they thought it was
important to bring these ideas together before reaching out to a
consultant, and I agree that this is an important first step in the process.

I posted just a few of our local issues at
http://www.evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=dev:testing:performance_issues:

STAFF CLIENT:

Memory leaks - is there an inherent problem with the technology used in
the staff client (xulrunner, Dojo) that is the source of the memory leak
problem and other performance problems?
Slow retrieval of patron records

MESSAGING (OPENSRF):
Staff client batch operations (e.g. updates/deletes from copy buckets)

DATABASE:
Catalog search - is there a way to optimize searching in the catalog so
that users get faster results and are able to start re-implementing
things like search.relevance_adjustment to provide boosts to relevance
ranking?

I'm quite sure there are far more pain points out there, so please don't
feel shy about contributing to the list!

Kathy

Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator
klussier at masslnc.org