[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen & Software Performance Analysis

Elfstrand, Stephen F stephen.elfstrand at mnsu.edu
Thu Feb 28 10:22:19 EST 2013

In speaking to several Evergreen users one of the points made was that there are a lot of direct calls to the database from the client, that the queries are not designed to optimize performance and could be improved. I'd like to see this issue investigated.

Another observation is that that it should be part of the release manager's job to see that testing and quality assurance have been done and documented before the release is packaged for distribution. I know we all want new features delivered, but if they come at the price of poor performance and memory leaks, are they worth the cost?

Many Evergreen users that have the technical expertise to do so, are running hybrid versions that blend the trunk with selected changes from other newer versions and some self-developed code. I would prefer to run only supported official releases, but to do so, I need a robust QA process that ensures that the releases are really ready for a production environment.

Stephen Elfstrand,
PALS Executive Director &
Evergreen Oversight Board Member