[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Proposal to change Evergreen versioning scheme

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mvlc.org
Fri Jan 4 09:47:08 EST 2013

Quoting Justin Hopkins <justin at mobiusconsortium.org>:

> Why are we so focused on the numbering scheme? I don't think the time
> spent worrying about what number we are on does anything to improve
> the project.

I pretty much agree with you. However, version numbers are important
to end users and system administrators because it gives them some
notion of what features are in a given release. And they can use the
compatibility matrix on
http://www.open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=versioning to see what
other software they need. (Granted that matrix is missing 2.3 at the
moment.)

That said, if you follow the guidelines at the top of the version
page, 2.1 should have been 3.0 because the required versions of
PostgreSQL and OpenSRF changed, 2.2 should have been 4.0 for the same
reasons, and 2.3 should be 5.0 because the xulrunner requirement has
changed quite a bit.

The outcome of the discussion that Alexey refers to was to throw out
the guidelines which are still posted on that page. It was decided
that any version numbering scheme is no more or less arbitrary than
any other, so we'll just be arbitrary and change version numbers
whenever it feels right.

I disagree with that decision because I think the older scheme could
actually be more useful to the end user, though it was end user "fear"
that was the driving force behind the decision to increment the major
version less often. It was felt by the majority of developers that
users would be more reluctant to upgrade to a 3.0 release from a 2.0
rather than to a 2.1 release.

I should also clarify that the discussion was not just limited to
developers. Several system administrators and users also gave their
opinions. These discussion are open to anyone who wants to sign up to
the dev mailing list or join us in IRC.

> I suspect this is coming up because of bericks recent post about
> release scheduling - which I (personally) do think would improve the
> project.

It could be, but Bill's email is really about the monthly dot releases
with bug fixes rather than about the bigger releases that now happen
twice a year. It was aimed at the developers because we're the ones
mostly affected by it. His email was basically a rallying cry to get
us to stick to our goal of doing a bug fix release of supported
versions every month. The question mainly affects the 2.2 and 2.3
release maintainers.

All of that being said, the version numbering scheme is not
particularly important to me or to my institution. We run Evergreen
from the master git branch and update whenever we feel it is worth it.

--
Jason Stephenson
Assistant Director for Technology Services