[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Proposal to change Evergreen versioning scheme

Bill Erickson berick at esilibrary.com
Fri Jan 4 10:07:27 EST 2013

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Thomas Berezansky <tsbere at mvlc.org> wrote:

> On the subject of the proposed scheme: I disagree with the last digit of
> the year. If we are going with any form of date-based numbering then I
> think we should go for last 2 digits of the year with the second number
> being the month. The third number would start with 0 and increment once for
> each maintenance release.

As soon as we moved to time based releases, it seems like everyone,
including myself, starting referring to the releases by their release
date..  e.g. the "2013 Fall Release".  I was mildly against it at first,
but including the date in the name in some form frankly seems inevitable.
 It's just easier to remember.

If we decide to change, I would also vote for the Ubuntu-style naming
scheme Thomas describes.  (IIRC, Jason S. was also a proponent of this
scheme).

As an example, the next release would be the 13.03.0 release.

-b

--
Bill Erickson