[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Proposal to change Evergreen versioning scheme

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mvlc.org
Fri Jan 4 11:07:56 EST 2013

Quoting "Sharp, Chris" <csharp at georgialibraries.org>:

> As long as the tagged git version and the tarball match, I have no
> problem with suggesting either, but I think tarballs are standard
> and expected in F/LOSS projects.

They are becoming less so as more projects switch to git or some other
distributed version control system. Mplayer2 is one project that has
abandoned tarballs and versioned releases completely.

There is another place where versioned releases are tarballs help.
That is with packaging software for distribution with certain
GNU/Linux flavors. Most of their binary packaging systems depend on
certain versioning styles to determine when to upgrade an installed
package. Currently, this is not an issue for Evergreen, since the only
way to install it at present is to compile it from source code.
However, several in the community have ambitions of creating binary
packages for Debian, Ubuntu, or Fedora that users can just install and
hopefully everything just works. Not having tarballs and versions will
make their work slightly more difficult.

If we're voting again on version schemes, I would vote for the
Ubuntu-style YY.MM type. After all, when you run from the master
branch in git, the date you build it is more or less your version.

--
Jason Stephenson
Assistant Director for Technology Services