[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Proposal to change Evergreen versioning scheme

James Fournie james.fournie at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 11:54:58 EST 2013

Just thought I'd throw this out there

Here's an interesting proposal that I encountered last week called Semantic
Versioning, which isn't super different from what is being done now.
http://semver.org/

The only challenge with this is defining a public API -- while we have the
various OpenSRF API calls, there are so many other moving parts to
Evergreen that it's difficult to define a single API.  I like the general
concept of basing version numbers on dependencies, it would be great if we
could tie major version numbers to depenencies on
xulrunner/opensrf/postgres/etc, just would have to nail those down.  For
example I think that perhaps 2.3 which introduced the xulrunner update
would have been 3.0, but now I'd say when Dojo is updated could be 3.0.

~James