[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Proposal to change Evergreen versioning scheme

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Wed Jan 9 14:12:34 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 02:07:58PM -0500, Kathy Lussier wrote:
> Hi Alexey,
> >>I think a lot of the "Is it going to be a huge pain to upgrade? Or is it
> >>just a minor upgrade?" angst would be diminished if we (devs and release
> >>managers) did a better job of communicating expectations about each
> >>upcoming release. We pledged to do this at EGConf 2012 and had a good
> >>start, but need to stay vigilant on this front - and pitch in on the
> >>documentation (release notes & upgrade notes).

> >I agree and would like to offer my help with this, however, not sure exactly how at this point.

> Here are some thoughts on pitching in on the release notes front.
> When I'm in Launchpad, I have started using a needsreleasenote tag
> for pullrequests for release-note-worthy new features that don't
> already have release notes. The development community has adopted a
> practice of writing the release notes when they submit code for new
> features, but this doesn't happen in all cases, meaning that we
> don't have a comprehensive set of release notes at beta time. I
> haven't gotten very far in adding this tag to new feature
> submissions, and I'm sure there are probably several Launchpad
> submissions that should get this tag. I'm hoping it will result in
> more comprehensive release notes at beta time.

Towards this end, during last month's dev meeting I pointed fellow devs
at a sign-off review checklist -
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=dev:signoff_review_checklist
- that includes the question "Does this commit have an associated
release notes entry, if applicable? New features, new config.tt2
entries, new user or org unit settings, changes in behaviour should have
a release notes entry."

People seemed to like the checklist idea, but I'm not sure how to
implement it. Maybe have people copy the checklist results into
Launchpad when they sign-off?