[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] marc overlays

Bill Erickson berick at esilibrary.com
Thu Jan 10 09:16:30 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM, Anne Murray <anne.hamilton4 at ntlworld.com>wrote:

> I am trying to overlay full marc records for DVDs on to a short record.
> The short record has the UPC in field 020 and the proper record has it in
> field 024. Is it possible to write a match set that will overlay this, or
> is it the case that only 020 can overwrite 020 and nothing else?

Hi Anne,

Out of the box, this is not possible, since match sets are designed to
compare apples to apples.  However, and this is a long shot, with some
configuration and record re-indexing it may be possible, given the right
kind of data.

You would have to create a new record attribute definition (admin -> server
admin -> marc record attributes) to extract values from both 020 and 024
fields using XPATH.

E.g.

name = isbn-or-upc
format = marcxml
xpath = //marc:datafield[@tag='020' or @tag='024']/marc:subfield[@code='a'
or @code='z']
(change to suit)

After this, you would have to re-index your bib records (or optionally
update the values for this specific record attribute).

When building your match set, you would add a match for your new
isbn-or-upc record attribute instead of using 020 or 024 directly.  The
match set will then compare the values of both fields combined.  I'm fairly
certain this will only work, though, if the records that should match
contain exactly one value for either 020 or 024 and not both or multiples
of each.  The combined values of both fields across both records have to
match.  This is may be too rigid for your use case.

Hope this helps.

-b

--
Bill Erickson