[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Annual Ebsco invoice

Donald Butterworth don.butterworth at asburyseminary.edu
Mon Jan 28 12:49:23 EST 2013

Let me try again ... being more specific ... way more specific that you
want ;-)

There are multiple ways of ordering library material. Typically these are
defined by "Order Type"

*Firm Orders*, are the orders most systems are built around. Essentially
one title (MARC 245 tag) is ordered one time, and is received one time.
Broadly speaking other orders are considered *Standing Orders*. Standing
orders, are broken down into more specifically defined types. The following
is not an exhaustive list, but these are the most common.

*Monographic Series Orders* occur when you tell a publisher or vendor "send
me every title in a specific series (MARC 8XX tag)." Unique monographic
titles arrive as they are published, are paid for as each is received, and
typically each volume is cataloged individually.

*Publisher Blanket Orders* are when you tell a publisher or vendor "send me
everything you publish (MARC 300 tag)"." Unique monographic titles arrive
as they are published, are paid for as each is received, and typically each
volume is cataloged individually.

*Author Blanket Orders* are when you tell a publisher or vendor "send me
everything written by a specific author (MARC 1XX & 7xx tags)." Unique
monographic titles arrive as they are published, are paid for as each is
received, and typically each volume is cataloged individually.

*Periodical Orders* are ordered one time, based on the title (MARC 245
tag), and then reordered to infinity. Often the term periodical is assigned
to titles that are issued more frequently than annually, but paid for
annually. Unless, of course, you are hit with the dreaded "rate
adjustment". Then you get to pay two or more times per year for the title.

Developing the Acquisitions module in a way that handles multiple order
types is very important. Particularly, it is needed to help keep you from
making a firm order for a title that you will be receiving as part of a
Monographic Series Order or a Blanket Order. It is also important because
it helps you know how much money to allocate in your Firm Order budgets,
based on subtracting how much you spent in previous years for Standing
Orders.

One of the key components needed with Standing Orders, especially for
Periodicals, is an Order History. One wants quick access to how prices for
a particular title change over time. There are two ways that this can be
accomplished. One is to have a Purchase Order that always remains "open".
That is, every time a title is invoiced, it is placed on the appropriate
open PO so that you have an order history all on one page. The other way is
to have a normal PO, but with some kind of linking function, so that you
can click a button or run a report that lists the order history.

Obviously we want to avoid as much manual entry as possible for all these
order types. Hence, EDI and Periodicals came up as my original question. We
long for the day when all of the transactions required for the annual EBSCO
renewal of over 1000 titles can be dealt with  electronically. I guess what
I'm looking for, especially from the the Academic Evergreen Libraries, are
the best practices that have been established to cope with all of the Order
Types, and periodicals in particular. Also, have any of the developers
contacted EBSCO regarding EDI?

Thanks for your insights,

Don

Don Butterworth