[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Planned Parts Development

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Tue Jan 29 14:33:08 EST 2013

Hope I'm wording this correctly. We haven't implemented Monographic parts
because of the need to retrospectively change volumes so I may not be
interpreting the functionality that exists correctly.

I have always thought that creating monograph parts should be done at the
consortia rather than the individual library level. In order for it to
work, all consortia members should use the same part label (retaining
their own volume designation within their call number). Have you
considering, rather than Pt 2 merging labels changing it to making
managing parts permissions at the consortium level rather than the local
level? That would solve the duplicate label issue and move the management
further up the hierarchical structure. This would essentially control the
part label vocabulary.

As a corollary, though not part of your request, to me creating call
number prefixes and suffixes should be at the library system level and not
at the consortium level. At least in PINES, call numbers are the
responsibility of the local library.

Elaine

  _____

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES Bibliographic Projects & Metadata Manager
Georgia Public Library Service
1800 Century Place, Ste 150
Atlanta, Ga. 30345-4304

404.235-7128