[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Question on loading order records in acq

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Mon Jul 15 17:01:34 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I'm working on updates to the Evergreen documentation for loading MARC
order records to incorporate some of the sticky fields we have in 2.4.
As part of the process, I realized that the original documentation for

I have a question about step 5 in these docs
http://docs.evergreen-ils.org/2.1/html/_load_marc_order_records.html:

> Select an org unit from the drop down menu. The context org unit is
> the org unit that|owns|the bib record.  You should select a physical
> location rather than a political or administrative org unit as the
> context org unit. For example, the|Smith County Library System|is
> funding purchase of a copy of|Gone with the Wind|. The system owns the
> bib record, but it cannot receive the physical item. The acquisitions
> librarian will choose a physical branch of that system, a processing
> center or an individual branch, to receive the item.

I would like to rewrite this paragraph, because I think it's confusing,
but, more importantly, I'm not sure the information is still accurate
three versions later. I just want to make sure my line of thinking is
correct before I put it into documentation.

The way I understand the above paragraph, the branch (the physical
location) should be selected as the context org unit. However, in my
work in acquisitions, I actually find that it's better to select the
system in a multi-branch environment. Our multi-branch systems often
upload records for multiple branches in one file. If we were to select a
branch as the context org unit, it would create problems because another
branch may be using a copy location that is not owned by the context org
unit, and the upload would fail. If we select a system as that context
org unit, then the system allows uploads for items in copy locations
owned by all the branches in the system.

Is there some problem I'm unaware of that occurs if you select the
system as the context org unit here instead of selecting a physical
location?

Thanks!
Kathy

--