[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Difference between Consortium owned copy location and...

Sharp, Chris csharp at georgialibraries.org
Tue Jul 16 07:00:10 EDT 2013

Hi Srey,

Having the copy locations owned locally (that is, by each branch rather than by the consortium) allows for local control of attributes such as whether the items in that location circulate, are holdable, or are visible in the OPAC.  That feature is especially handy if, say, a library closes for remodeling and you want to temporarily mark items non-holdable and non-OPAC-visible without a lot of extra fuss.  I would agree with the idea of consistent naming, which allows for easier reporting by copy location across a consortium.

There are newer (2.3+) circulation and OPAC searching features that allow for grouping copy locations together for different purposes.  PINES is not using those features at this time because our circulation policies are very centralized and our copy locations are very localized and non-standardized.  Hopefully others can chime in with their experience using those features.

Hope that's helpful!

Chris