[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] m2 is Finished, On to alpha1 [RM2.5]

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Tue Jul 16 12:47:30 EDT 2013

Hello all,

First, thanks again to everyone who put in some extra time to make commits for the m2 phase of Evergreen 2.5.  It didn't live up to the drama of m1, but that is  a good thing.  We entered Friday needing only 5 more commits, and we exceeded that goal.  When all was said and done, our needing-review list had dwindled from 62 branches to 29.  If you include a few commits done earlier in the m2 period, we pushed a total of 40 branches, and you can see all of that work here:

https://launchpad.net/evergreen/2.5/2.5.0-m2

While the amount is great in itself, I also want to highlight a couple other positive facts.  First, we cut our pool of year-old+ review bugs from 11 to 4.  At this rate, I see no reason that cannot be 0 by the 2.5 release.  Second, of the 40 bugs committed, 14 were classified as 'wishlist', up from 9 for m1.  When I see wishlist bugs getting attention, I see more evidence of a maturing project.  Once again, great job, everybody!

Looking ahead, we are now past the m's and moving quickly to alpha1.  Here are a few things to keep in mind:

1.      While not a hard feature cutoff (that comes at the beta), please make every attempt to have new features ready in some form for the alpha1 milestone.  If you won't have a pullrequest ready, you should at least have a bug open and/or a mention on the roadmap.  That way, there won't be any surprises for the beta period.
2.      This will be the first milestone where we will package a release tarball.  Potential testers, take note!
3.      The bug target cutoff date will be Aug. 2, and the commit cutoff will be Aug. 9.

As always, please reply with any comments, questions, or concerns.

Thanks again,
Dan