[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Milestone 1 Wrap-up [RM2.5]

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Wed Jun 12 12:41:57 EDT 2013

Hello all,

Milestone 1 (aka m1), the first phase of the 2.5 development process, came to a close on Friday.  We entered the commit phase with 63 bug reports needing review, many of them being part of a bug backlog which built up over time.  With the number so high, the challenge given to the dev community was to cut that number in half during this first round.  With my last, bleary-eyed check of the count late Friday, the number needing review (by the same criteria) had fallen to 31!  By the mere width of half a bug, we had made our goal.  THANK YOU to everyone who pitched in; even if you only dealt with one bug, this success simply wouldn't have happened without you.

So, what made it into m1?  Rather than highlight some contributions and leave out others, please check out the whole list:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bugs?field.searchtext=&field.status%3Alist=FIXCOMMITTED&field.milestone%3Alist=58847&search=Search&orderby=id

On thing I will point out is that thirteen of the listed issues were created more than six months ago, so that's good evidence that we were able to take care of a significant portion of the lingering issues rather than focus entirely on new features, and this gives me confidence that Evergreen is truly a maturing product.

With m1 now in the past, let's turn our attention to m2.  We are behind a little from the original schedule (which is fine and not unexpected), plus we need to account at least somewhat for 4th of July absences.  So, my suggestion is that July 1 is the last day to target bugs at m2, and July 12 will be the last day of the commit push (it may have just been chance, but we did much better with the Friday deadline than the Tuesday one, so we'll try the same thing again).  Speaking of bugs, I'll be spending some time shortly retargeting the left-over m1 pull requests at m2.

Important Dates:
7/1 - Suggested last day for targetting bugs/features at m2
7/2-7/12 - Suggested period to focus energy on reviewing/committing m2 bugs/features

Once again, thanks again to everyone who helped in the m1 push.  With a few repeat performances, I am confident Evergreen 2.5 can be the best release yet.

As always, please feel free to voice any comments or concerns you have about the release process.  One question I have for everyone: is there demand for an m1 tarball (aka packaged release)?  The primary goal of the early milestones was more organizational, since this is still pre-alpha code, but if there is demand, we can make it happen.  (Plus, it would probably be good practice for me to learn more about the packaging process).

Sincerely,
Dan