[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Data migration – Best practices

Martha Driscoll driscoll at noblenet.org
Fri Mar 8 13:50:15 EST 2013

Hi Don,
I have two pieces of advice:

1. Migrate early and often.

Prior to our migration I did several full data loads on our production
hardware.  After each I would empty the database and do it again.  Each
time I learned something new or found a better way to migrate the data.
  I also got a sense for how long it was going to take to do the
migration for real.

2. Use staging tables.

I created staging tables in Evergreen for copies, patrons, transactions,
and holds.  These tables were created to hold data from our old system
using the old system field names.  Staging tables allow you to look at
the data, learn about it, and do some cleanup.  Staging tables also
allow you to preserve and archive the original data.  For example if you
decide to condense DVD, FAC-MED, and ARC-MED to dvd, but then discover 3
weeks after migration that there was a flaw in that logic, you can
identify the original records and update accordingly.  With the
exception of the bib record load, all our migration scripts worked off
of staging tables.

Updating data in Evergreen after migration is certainly possible, but
doing practice loads will allow everyone to see how the data is going to
look and confirm or rethink migration decisions before you go live.

Martha Driscoll
Systems Manager
North of Boston Library Exchange
Danvers, Massachusetts