[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Activity metric for relevance

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Thu Mar 14 15:53:05 EDT 2013

Hi all,

MassLNC is working with our partners at MVLC to develop an activity
metric (aka popularity metric) that will allow sites to rank more
popular items a little higher in search results than items that don't
see as much activity. I've raised this idea on the list before. Although
Evergreen allows sites to adjust relevancy based on the appearance of
keywords in certain fields, which is highly useful, our hope is that
this additional functionality will lead to further improvement when
ranking results by relevance.

As an example, if a user were conducting a keyword search on "abraham
lincoln,"  there are many titles in most US libraries where the words
"abraham lincoln" show up in the title. There would be no way to tease
out the titles that are getting the most attention by readers. In fact,
a title like "Team of Rivals" ranks very low in our search results even
though there is a high likelihood it is the title the patron is
seeking.  By applying a metric based on activity, we might be able to
see those more-recently popular titles floating higher in the search
results list.

I would like to share MVLC's proposal outlining the details for
implementing this project. The proposal is available at
http://masslnc.cwmars.org/node/2757. It provides a lot of flexibility in
allowing sites to define what "high activity" means to them. Circulation
activity, holds activity, total copies, and publication age/bib record
age can all be used as an activity metric.

If you have any feedback or questions, feel free to let us know.

Kathy

--
Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator