[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Activity metric for relevance

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Fri Mar 15 09:00:26 EDT 2013

First off, I think this is a good enhancement and would be very helpful to
all users particularly when searching a large database - a keyword search
for Abraham Lincoln returns over 2400 hits when searching all of PINES.263
for one of the larger systems.

Mike - would your algorithm mean that, with a title like Team of Rivals
(which had an initial high rate of circulation and holds, then interest
fell off to revive again with the movie), while it is first popular it
rises in the search results, to fall as interest tapers, and then arises
again, using older and newer interest data? That way it might "bump" above
other titles that were popular in that interval more quickly than without
the algorithm?

Elaine

  _____

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES Bibliographic Projects & Metadata Manager
Georgia Public Library Service
1800 Century Place, Ste 150
Atlanta, Ga. 30345-4304

404.235-7128