[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Activity metric for relevance

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 13:41:07 EDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 9:01 AM, Thomas Berezansky <tsbere at mvlc.org> wrote:

> The current plan would not take into account how recent the circs (or
> holds) were, just that they were within a configurable time period of the
> time the cronjob that counts them last ran (default will likely be to
> include those from within the last 6 to 12 months). If you have an
> algorithm you think would work well and are willing to share we would
> gladly include that as an option when doing the work, though.

I do, and I am.  As time permits over the next few weeks I'll get back to
this thread.

> We would not, however, be able to make it a per-bump option with the way
> we currently plan on storing the circ and hold counts, so instead it would
> function as an overall modifier to the circ/hold count numbers. Though even
> as I type this email I have thoughts on how we could change that if the
> feeling is that it should be at least partially bump-to-bump configurable.

I think it's really only useful for some bump types in any case.  The ratio
bumps are really point-in-time values -- they represent "right this very
moment" (or "late last night," I guess). Threshold bumps don't attempt to
take scale into account, just that some line was crossed.  For circs this
year or holds this month, or similar, age scaling (probably a better term
than just "aging") of each event's relevance should be useful.

--miker