[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] The Evergreen of the future

Elfstrand, Stephen F stephen.elfstrand at mnsu.edu
Fri Mar 22 13:09:06 EDT 2013

At this time  the  improvements in Evergreen are mostly driven by demand from existing users with the ability to code or pay for the improvements they want. And certainly that's good,  but is it enough? Perhaps we need to think about a strategic plan for Evergreen development to make it the best library system available and attractive to potential users. Especially large public libraries, and academic libraries both large and small.

Here's some ideas for discussion.

-Improve the image and reputation of Evergreen with better QA and packaging of complete releases with comprehensive upgrade scripts and documentation (see my Latest openILS posting)
-NCIP will save ILL staff 30-40% of their time interacting with their regional resource sharing gateway, it's being tested and beginning to be used, but let's include it in the Evergreen releases!
-OLE & Koha are there  ways to cooperate with them? Can the library community really support 3 different Open Source library systems?
-Develop an  OPAC that can be used as a common interface to Web Scale Discovery Systems (PRIMO EDS, Summon)  using the APIs
-Can we create virtual Union catalogs with other Evergreens using API?
-Add a Patron load API which is -  critical for Academic libraries
-Course Reserves, E-Reserves access control  - critical for Academic libraries
-RDA Issues
-How will Evergreen compete with or evolve into a next gen (cloud-based?) system like Intota, ALMA and OLE, Sierra, OCLC etc.?
-Serials & Acq & the OLE Open KnowledgeBase how can we incorporate ERM and OpenURL functionality INTO the Evergreen of the future for format-independent selection, acquisition, licensing and access control.
-Ability to accept OpenURL ILL or borrowing requests
-Linked data models of the future
-Authorities -  after we get the string matching version working correctly let's look at using  linked data for this.
-Resource delivery outside my Evergreen instance & ILL - Where is FulfILLment and how should it integrate with Evergreen?'
                I've never understood why it is a "separate" project. If it is open source why isn't it being discussed in the Evergreen user community?
ISO ILL

Comments appreciated

Stephen F. Elfstrand
Member Evergreen Oversight Board