[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] RSS feeds and links to the catalog

Elizabeth B. Thomsen et at noblenet.org
Wed May 29 15:11:32 EDT 2013

We really like the bookbags (My Lists) feature in the catalog,
especially with the features added in 2.3 that make it much easier for
logged-in users to add things directly to a particular list right from
the search results screen.

We're promoting these to our staff and patrons as an easy way to make
and share lists of items.  The HTML View works great for viewing the
list but we have a problem with the feed link.  The feed looks fine, but
when you click on a title you go to the htmlholdings-full unapi view,
and have to click on the "Dynamic Details" link to go to the record in
the catalog.

We really want to eliminate this unapi view and go directly to the
record in the usual TPac view.  This seems more consistent with the HTML
view of the list, where titles link to the full record.  It's what our
staff and users expect when they click on a title, and we don't
understand the purpose or the benefit of having this extra page between
the user and the full record displayed in the usual manner, with the
holds link, added content, etc.

This is an important issue to us because we want to use and promote the
RSS feeds as a convenient way to add booklists to LibGuides and blog
sidebars, among other uses.  Are we missing something?  Is there a
benefit to that screen that we're not seeing, or some technical reason
why we can't have the titles link to the TPAC?

Here's an example of a shared list:
HTML View: https://evergreen.noblenet.org/eg/opac/results?bookbag=2481
Feed: https://evergreen.noblenet.org/opac/extras/feed/bookbag/rss2-full/2481

I know the developers prefer to keep the conversation on Launchpad, so
here's a link to the wishlist bug:

Elizabeth Thomsen, Member Services Manager
NOBLE: North of Boston Library Exchange
26 Cherry Hill Drive
Danvers MA 01923
E-mail: et at noblenet.org