[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Authority validation question - 650 / 655

Schooff, Rose (LVA) Rose.Schooff at lva.virginia.gov
Fri Oct 18 15:31:58 EDT 2013

Library1 wrote:

Lots of times, those records with a 655 0 genre form records come up as invalid.  I guess this is because Evergreen VA wants them to be 650 0 records.  If I change the 655 to a 650, Evergreen is happy, but I don't know that I am.   And there are two flavors of 655.  The 655 0  (LC genre) and the 655 7 (ditto but also includes a subfield indicating source of heading)

Are there plans to have the 655 fields be validated in the future so we can keep what comes with the bib record and they will be useful in a controlled VEL vocabulary context?    As opposed to keep them and not have a way of checking them against the controlled VEL vocabulary.

Thanks!

Library 2 wrote:

I agree.
I want the 655 genre headings to be kept.  I also have a concern that many of the 650 heading don't have the second indicator that the LC heading and OCLC have.  When I try to validate them, I lose the second indicator.

Can anyone out there help me with the answer to their questions?  Thanks in advance.

Rose M. Schooff
Evergreen Virginia Project Manager
Technology Consultant
The Library of Virginia