[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] 2.5 Release Update [RM2.5]

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Wed Sep 25 11:10:02 EDT 2013

Hello all,

[NOTE: This message was sent yesterday, but I am told that list problems prevented it from getting through, so this is a resend.]

The purpose of this email is to announce the official delay of the 2.5 release, and to establish a new timeline for release.  A number of factors are contributing to this delay, including some exciting development targeted at making the TPAC work better on mobile devices.  In talking with many community members, the consensus opinion was that the benefits of delaying and including the to-be-reviewed work outweighed the costs, but several also cautioned that we must emphasize these costs (loss of release predictability, increased chance of instability).  How the community wants to balance similar tradeoffs in the future will need to be discussed more thoroughly at a later date.

Here is the new timeline:

9/26, noon - feature freeze for master (beta cutoff)
9/26, end-of-day - packaged beta release
10/4 -2.5 RC1 release
10/14 - 2.5 final release

In addition to the mobile TPAC branch (which Lebbeous and I have both offered to review), there are still 4 outstanding branches (well, more like 3.25) on the original beta-blockers list which I would like to include if possible.  I know this recent burst in development activity has spread everyone a little thin, but any help in reviewing these would be much appreciated:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bugs?field.tag=2.5-beta-blocker

Thanks as always,
Dan

Daniel Wells