[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Items not checking in?

Vickie Turcotte vturcotte at mvlc.org
Mon Apr 14 15:34:15 EDT 2014

Hello all,

I usually just lurk here, I learn a lot of things by following the
discussions.

But I wanted to speak up, as one of those front line EG users (after looking
up PEBKAC).

Circ is very busy, as already mentioned.  They need to go fast to get the
work done.

Evergreen is slow. There may be a million reasons why it's not Evergreen's
fault, but that's my experience.

Evergreen has lots of alerts - we tracked them for a week once.  The slowest
day had only 468 alerts that required staff to clear them.  Worst day was
743 alerts.  743 times that day, staff had to go to the mouse or the
keyboard to clear an alert.

Staff make mistakes,  but Evergreen provides lots of opportunities to make
mistakes.

This last thing is a personal issue of mine - sometimes it can be really
hard to convince the Evergreen staff that there's a problem.  User error is
not always to blame, but is often the first response when reporting a
problem.

Thanks for your time.

Vickie Turcotte
Head of Technical Services