[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Items not checking in?

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Mon Apr 14 20:14:19 EDT 2014

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 5:11 PM, Kathy Lussier <klussier at masslnc.org> wrote:
> I'm curious to know which pop-ups are suppressed using the "Suppress
> popup-dialogs during check-in."  Is it all pop-ups (including holds and
> transit, which we really need to see) or just the missing, lost, and claims
> returned pop-ups that seem unnecessary to most of the users here in MA?

In this case it is almost all of them.  I believe a Network error will
still pop-up.  For suppressed print dialogs, it looks at the
Auto-Print checkbox to determine whether to print something or not.
It's also auto "overriding" a lot of conditions if staff have the
permission, such as the patron being BARRED. :-/

We could do something like the Do Not Attempt Auto-Print setting and
make it configurable with some grunt work.  Right now the setting is
true or false, but we could make it a list of options.

So, for example, in a given section where the code says:

if (!suppress_popups) {

we could have it instead say

if (suppress_popups.indexOf('checkin.not_found') > -1) {

Might be worth doing before the web-based client gets here, but I
don't know what others would think.

There are also hooks for plugging in different sounds for any distinct
event you can get, even though we share the same sounds for a lot of
different events currently.

For speeding up check-ins within the staff client, there are two other
things you may want to consider doing:

1) if you're not using Booking, then comment out the open-ils.booking
section in <activeapps> in opensrf.xml
2) don't enable the Barcode Completion functionality for partial
barcode lookups under Admin -> Local Administration -> Barcode
Completion

--
Jason Etheridge