[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] marc_stream_importer.pl

Martha Driscoll driscoll at noblenet.org
Fri Apr 18 09:13:18 EDT 2014

Hi Kyle,
I use marc_stream_importer.pl to load files of marc records.  It takes a
number of command line arguments including the queue you want to use and
the merge profile.  The queue will contain the record match set and
holdings profile if you are loading copies.  You can create an empty
queue in Vandelay by selecting your record match set and holdings
profile and click upload without specifying a file.

Marc_stream_importer.pl assumes you are importing all the records with
an exact match on the 901 $c.  To use a vandelay match set, you need the
updated version of marc_stream_importer.  Bill Erickson made some
changes to to enable the command line option to specify a merge profile.
   This version also supports overlay 1 match, overlay best match, and
import non-matching records.

Here is how I load a file:

marc_stream_importer.pl  --spoolfile /home/opensrf/file-7 --user xxx
--password xxx --source 102 --merge-profile 2 --queue
   11391 --auto-overlay-best-match --import-no-match --nodaemon

You can find this version here:

Marc_stream_importer.pl will empty the queue when it is finished (unless
there were errors for whatever reason).  It will also delete the file
you loaded, so if you want to retain a copy of the marc file, make a copy.

Vandelay works best when loading no more than 500 records at a time.  I
split my large files using yaz-marcdump and then either load them one at
a time or put a script file together to load them one after the other.

Martha Driscoll
Systems Manager
North of Boston Library Exchange
Danvers, Massachusetts