[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Generating Report based on MARC data fields

Yamil Suarez ysuarez at berklee.edu
Sun Apr 27 10:53:41 EDT 2014

Jayaraj,

I have never used Kathy's approach of using "Flattened MARC Fields," but I want to learn for the future. Though when I have to make reports similar to yours I use SQL to run queries on the "metabib.full_rec" table when looking for bib MARC data, and I use the "authority.full_rec" table when looking for authority MARC data. Perhaps using "Flattened MARC Fields" is a better approach, but I wanted to share it with the list just in case it is helpful to others.

For the record, the metabib.full_rec table has multiple rows for a single bib record. One row for each tag and a each individual subfield, if the tag uses more than one subfield. So a 245 tag with subfield "a" and "b," will be stored as two separate table rows.

So this SQL (if memory serves me correctly) will list all 100 tags, with their bib number (record), and the text (value) store in subfield "a"

select record, tag, subfield, value
from metabib.full_rec
where tag = '100' and subfield = 'a'
order by value

Regretfully, because each subfield of a tag get its own row, your search for "245 a b c" will require using a SQL technique called "table aliases."

Hope this helps a bit,
Yamil