[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] [OPEN-ILS-DEV] Web Client (Sprint 1) demo - initial testing results

Grace Dunbar gdunbar at esilibrary.com
Wed Aug 27 09:13:40 EDT 2014

Answers inline.

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 6:32 PM, McCanna, Terran <
tmccanna at georgialibraries.org> wrote:

> MAIN SCREEN OF INTERFACE:
> - Register Patron(s) link missing
> - Pull List for Hold Requests link missing
> - Catalog Search field missing
> - Item Status link missing

To be clear, I assume you mean that all of the above should be added as
"quick links" from the splash page?
These actions
- Register Patrons
- Pull List for Hold Requests
- Catalog Search
- Item Status
are all available from the menus at the top.

Since we're moving to a browser client and have the opportunity to re-think
the splash page I think this might be a good time to get community input as
to what actions should be included and how those should be organized.
Should there even be a splash page with a browser client and, if so, what
should be included as "quick links" by default?

> - Is the large Equinox banner across the bottom of the screen present
> because it's being hosted on an Equinox server, or is this something you
> have added to the default interface?

Equinox would never brand the Evergreen open source product with its name.
Never.
This is simply a style banner to indicate that we are hosting this
community test server.  I'm sorry if that wasn't clear.

> MENUS:
> - Search Catalog link missing from Search dropdown menu

We can add that.  (Right now it appears under Cataloging, for those who are
just following the email discussion)  In the current client a link to
search the catalog appears under both Cataloging and Search menus. Should
we keep them both or eliminate one?

PATRON FUNCTIONS:
> - When creating a new message on an account there is an empty dropdown box
> on the right side of the pop-up window - what is that for? I don't seem to
> be able to do anything with it.

What Bill said. It exists in the current client for custom penalties. We
should probably put a label on it at the very least.

> - the Message pop-up window is missing the field to record staff initials
> that is in the current staff client

Good catch.  We'll add that.

> ITEMS OUT SCREEN - COLUMN PICKER:
> - I didn't go through every option, but there were obvious differences
> between the current staff client and the web client and definitely some
> columns missing that are in the current staff client.

There are a few things missing (like checkout/checkin workstation and circ
or renewal worktation), and the list of values in the web based client is
not ordered alphabetically.  We can fix the latter and the former is due to
one of the known challenges going to a web interface.  A longer and more
explanatory email to come on that.

> - Show All Columns and Hide All Columns don't appear to do anything

They surely don't.  And honestly, I would not recommend anyone ever use
"show all columns" - do we really need that option when we have 60+ column
options?  And, now that I think about it... Has anyone ever user hide all
columns except after you accidentally chose show all columns? Any opinions
on keeping those functions?

- There is an optional column for "Due Date/Time" - what is that for? (It
> does not display the date and time from the normal "Due Date" column.)

 The labels come from a different place, since the code is different. The
different place they come from calls that column "Due Date/Time" -- it's
the same place as the report output gets its column labels. We can choose
to allow both columns, or just one, and we can change the labels.  Opinions
on the this?

> - 'Check Out Date/Time' column is empty when turned on

Bug. Will be fixed.

> - 'Check Out Date/Time' should be 'Checkout Date/Time' to be consistent
> with other terminology

Can do.

> - 'Check In Date/Time' should be 'Checkin Date/Time' to be consistent with
> other terminology

 Does this even belong on this column picker?  I'm probably missing an
obvious use case but when would you have an item in the "items out" list on
this interface that has a checkin time?

> - There is also a 'Checkin Scan Date/Time' - is that different from
> 'Checkin Date/time' ?

Checkin scan date/time is the time the item was actually scanned. The other
will give you the checkin date/time after any backdating.

> RENEW ITEM WITH SELECTED DUE DATE:
> - date is off (example: select November 5, 2014 as the new date and it
> records it as November 4, 2014)

You're correct.  That's a bug.  Fixing...

> - does it matter what format the date is entered in? is there going to be
> a calendar picker next to date fields like this?

See Bill's answer. :)

> SCAN ITEM AS MISSING PIECES:
> - it displays a field called Patron Barcode rather than Item Barcode

Oops!  It surely does.  We will fix the mislabeling.

Thanks for the testing and feedback!
Grace

--
Grace Dunbar, Vice President
Equinox Software, Inc.  -  The Open Source Experts
gdunbar at esilibrary.com
1-877-OPEN-ILS    www.esilibrary.com

gdunbar at esilibrary.com
1-877-OPEN-ILS    www.esilibrary.com