[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] [OPEN-ILS-DEV] Web Client (Sprint 1) demo - initial testing results

McCanna, Terran tmccanna at georgialibraries.org
Wed Aug 27 10:57:02 EDT 2014

Hi Grace,

To be clear, I assume you mean that all of the above should be added as "quick links" from the splash page?
These actions
- Register Patrons
- Pull List for Hold Requests
- Catalog Search
- Item Status
are all available from the menus at the top.

Since we're moving to a browser client and have the opportunity to re-think the splash page I think this might be a good time to get community input as to what actions should be included and how those should be organized.
Should there even be a splash page with a browser client and, if so, what should be included as "quick links" by default?

<<

Yes, this list is based on what's currently in the staff client under the assumption that the developers are recreating what is currently there. I'm not opposed to the idea of re-thinking what is on the splash page, but I would be opposed to removing it entirely as I think it's very helpful for staff.

- Is the large Equinox banner across the bottom of the screen present because it's being hosted on an Equinox server, or is this something you have added to the default interface?

Equinox would never brand the Evergreen open source product with its name.
Never.
This is simply a style banner to indicate that we are hosting this community test server. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear.
<<

Great, just making sure!

MENUS:
- Search Catalog link missing from Search dropdown menu

We can add that. (Right now it appears under Cataloging, for those who are just following the email discussion) In the current client a link to search the catalog appears under both Cataloging and Search menus. Should we keep them both or eliminate one?
<<

I prefer to have it in both places, but if it were only to be in one place, I would put it under Search.

ITEMS OUT SCREEN - COLUMN PICKER:
- I didn't go through every option, but there were obvious differences between the current staff client and the web client and definitely some columns missing that are in the current staff client.

There are a few things missing (like checkout/checkin workstation and circ or renewal worktation), and the list of values in the web based client is not ordered alphabetically. We can fix the latter and the former is due to one of the known challenges going to a web interface. A longer and more explanatory email to come on that.
<<

Great, thank you.

- Show All Columns and Hide All Columns don't appear to do anything

They surely don't. And honestly, I would not recommend anyone ever use "show all columns" - do we really need that option when we have 60+ column options? And, now that I think about it... Has anyone ever user hide all columns except after you accidentally chose show all columns? Any opinions on keeping those functions?
<<

I was wondering the same thing. Personally, I like the idea of being able to hide all columns and start building my own table from scratch as a user, but I don't think I'd ever use Show All.

Thanks!
Terran

Terran McCanna
PINES Program Manager
Georgia Public Library Service
1800 Century Place, Suite 150
Atlanta, GA 30345
404-235-7138
tmccanna at georgialibraries.org

--

Grace Dunbar, Vice President
Equinox Software, Inc. - The Open Source Experts
gdunbar at esilibrary.com
1-877-OPEN-ILS www.esilibrary.com

gdunbar at esilibrary.com
1-877-OPEN-ILS www.esilibrary.com