[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Academic PAC flavor

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Tue Dec 2 09:17:12 EST 2014

Hi Don,

I would like to hear the feedback others have to these ideas, but I do
have comments on a couple of them.

> What would you think of taking the "_... Read more_" approach that
> Amazon uses for reviews and long text, for long notes and text? This
> eliminates the problem of clicking on a bar and finding it empty of
> content. It also would make it possible to keep the copy/item record
> data always visible on the screen without the need to scroll.
Some of our consortia have handled this by a customization that
eliminates the bar and pulls the content out on to the main screen. the
Read more link might be nice, but, as Jim mentioned, I think this is
something that would be welcome in all types of libraries.

> What do you think of eliminating the "Place Hold" option in the
> Actions (?) text box and making it a column in the copy/items list?

I would be hesitant to add a "Place Hold" for title-level holds in the
copy/items list because I think it could lead to potential confusion
among users. Currently, we already have a column to place volume/copy
level holds from the copy/items list that, for most systems, is only
viewable from the staff client, but I think it can be made visible to
the public if you choose. If we add a place hold link for title-level
holds, my concern is that users would think they are placing a hold on a
specific copy or volume, not on any copy that is attached to that record.

FWIW, I personally like the current location of the action items. They
seem to be easy to find if you need them without getting in the way of
other content.    The upper right corner is also where I typically find
action items on other sites, such as Amazon.

> Is it necessary to include "available copies" information in a
> separate area on the screen? Isn't the status column in the copy/items
> list sufficient?

The status column in the copy/items list may be sufficient for single
libraries using Evergreen, but the available copies information becomes
more useful for libraries in a consortium where the copy/items list can
get somewhat long.

Kathy

Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator