[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Improving LC Call Number Displays & Behaviors

Donald Butterworth don.butterworth at asburyseminary.edu
Thu Dec 11 10:26:47 EST 2014

Hi Kathy
Issue #2 Multiple Suffixes in Volume and Copy Creator
Are you talking about the suffix field here or the parts field? I was
thinking the parts field would be the most appropriate place to store the
volume/part information. Is there a reason you can't have a part listed as
"volume 1, part 1" or as "volume 1, part 2"?

My understanding of how suffixes and part designation works is that you can
create a suffix "v." and then enter a value in part designation "1"
Providing a call number like
BR
60
.C49
v.1

I don't see how you can create a call number
BR
60
.C49
v.1
pt.5
with the current structure. Am I missing something?

Issue #5 No entries found when doing "Bib Call Number" searches
We've had discussions about the bib call number search at various times in
IRC,  the most recent one being last week when you sent this e-mail. The
relevant bug report is at https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1074096.
The thought was that this search probably works with call numbers stored in
the 099 field, but I haven't had a chance to confirm this behavior. If you
wanted it to work with another call number field, then I think you would
need to adjust the bibcn entry in the config.metabib_field table in the
database to point to another field. You would then need to reingest your
records to get the call number search working with the new tag(s)

I'm not sure what all is going on with Bib Call Number Search. I was simply
reporting the behavior. However it makes no sense to me why a default
setting for this feature would only index locally assigned call numbers
instead all LC or Dewey number. My supposition was that Bib Call Number
Search should index call numbers from the bib record while the Call Number
(Shelf browse) indexes the copy/item record.

Personally I only see the need for the Shelf browse. The other seems
superfluous, but perhaps I am missing something. I can't recall any other
ILS that has two different call number indexes. I would recommend
eliminating this option, especially since it returns null results.

As an aside, it would make sense to me to include the Call Number (Shelf
Browse) option in the Browse the Catalog "Browse for:" dropdown list.

Blessings,

Don

don.butterworth at asburyseminary.edu