[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Improving LC Call Number Displays & Behaviors

Elizabeth B. Thomsen et at noblenet.org
Thu Dec 11 14:38:14 EST 2014

 >> Issue #5 No entries found when doing "Bib Call Number" searches

Speaking of bib call numbers, I wish they weren't included in the
keyword index.  These can add clutter to search results -- LC
subdivisions like SF and TX get in with Science Fiction and Texas
searches, and strings of numbers from both Dewey and LC can also match
on numbers and dates that are part of the search.

I think this is especially confusing because the bib level call numbers
are not displayed in the full record (at least not in systems I am
familiar with) so the user has no way of understand why a certain record
was found when it doesn't appear to have one of the search terms.
(Unless of course they are motivated enough to go searching through the
MARC, which they aren't.)

--
Elizabeth Thomsen, Member Services Manager
NOBLE: North of Boston Library Exchange
E-mail: et at noblenet.org