[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] 2.8 release scheduling

Ben Shum bshum at biblio.org
Thu Dec 18 13:11:52 EST 2014

Moving towards a more solidly time-based release has been a constant
challenge, but predictably having a March / September (not October,
heh) with a beta cut-off a month before actual RC and release seems to
lay out the timeline pretty thoroughly.  With some minor wiggle room
applied by each release manager as they see fit based on what's
actually happening at the time.  I've been thinking about raising the
idea of setting rough milestone objectives for the next whole year
ahead of time so that there aren't any surprises about this,
regardless of who's elected RM (and especially if the election of the
RM takes longer and cuts into the 6 months allotted for each major
release).

Having an interval of time between cutting the first beta and
stabilizing things post-merge sounds like a very smart idea.  I ended
up doing this by accident (or on purpose?) with my own one week delays
in cutting releases after announcing business closed on merging.
Officially the dates were listed out for 2.7, but unofficially, I
ended up spending the follow-up week bug fixing / testing last details
before actually cutting the releases.  Having the time table
established and announced this way lends more time for the broader
community to participate in the testing process that we should be
encouraging to occur.  So I'm +1 to keeping this concept in place, if
perhaps making minor adjustments to the dates.

As far as pushing back the mid-March release date, that's not
something I'm opposed with doing.  Community-wise, we've never made
any explicit promise for a release to occur by middle of the month,
it's just nicer that way.  That said, these are almost arbitrary lines
in the sand sometimes.  No matter what date we suggest, we'll still
end up with unfinished, hanging threads that need to be cut and moved
on to the next major milestone.

That said, whenever we schedule the next developer meeting (maybe
January now?), I think I'd like to re-raise the idea of evaluating
whether March/September has worked out well for the major release
months of the year.  For myself, I still like the idea of
April/October.  But again...arbitrary lines in the sand.  :)

-- Ben

--
Benjamin Shum
Evergreen Systems Manager