[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] 2.8 release scheduling

Bill Erickson berickxx at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 16:42:18 EST 2014

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Mike Rylander <mrylander at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 12:11 PM, Bill Erickson <berickxx at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 8:29 AM, Mike Rylander <mrylander at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Bill,
>>>
>>> First, thanks for putting out a timeline.
>>>
>>> I am a little concerned about the pre-beta feature freeze.  In the past,
>>> the merge deadline for features has always been "whatever makes it into the
>>> beta release", and I don't see cutting that back by a week helping things
>>> to get done faster -- we just end up with a week less features in 2.8, and
>>> that last week is often (us being humans, and whatnot) the critical push
>>> time for things that are almost there.  Do you have something in mind that
>>> I'm not seeing for the change there?
>>>

>> The feature freeze basically is the beta.  (I recall now this was called
>> the "beta cut-off" during the 2.6 cycle.  I'll use this terminology going
>> forward).  The interval between the cut-off and beta release cutting is our
>> chance to let the dust settle after the merge rush so we're not cutting a
>> buggy beta.  If Feb 18th is too soon, we can certainly push the beta back.
>>

> I won't fight you hard on the week between cut-off and beta wrapping, but
> IMO it doesn't serve much purpose. Believe me, I know better than most that
> betas often don't get the attention they deserve, and because of that it
> feels (again, to me and maybe not to anyone else) like a week of doldrums.
> But if you feel that week will help you shake things out as RM, I'll
> mentally s/25/18/ the beta date

I didn't really explain my expectations of the cut-off interval very well.
It's definitely helpful for the RM (finalizing the DB upgrade, compiling
release notes, misc. cleanup, etc.), but to me it's more about developers
testing this shiny new thing that we're about to call the Beta,
particularly since it's the first time some of the features will be living
together.  A group sniff test, if you will.  (ewwww).

I see your point about the doldrums, though.  A week is probably too long.
Let's push the beta cut-off up to the 20th?

-b