[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Cron job to check for holds

Deana Cunningham deana.cunningham at granvillecounty.org
Thu Feb 27 16:05:17 EST 2014

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone who pointed out ways around the holds with a status of "missing" or "trace". Making those statuses holdable did fix the problem.

The other issue we are having is with our cron job to check for holds. We set it up awhile ago and it has been chugging along just fine. The other day, staff mentioned that holds did not seem to be triggering correctly. When I went back to check for for the previous check time, I was getting only one or two checks a day, instead of the hourly checks that are supposed to run. When IT looked into it, they said that Linux is triggering the cron job but the script is not running. When they give it the command to "run now", the script will run fine for two or three iterations, then it stops again. They don't know if it is overlapping (although it only takes five or ten minutes to run when they are watching it), if it is getting hung up somehow, or if it is just staying in memory.

If anyone can give me an idea of what is going on (or where to look) I would appreciate it!

Thanks again,

Deana

Deana Cunningham
Branch Manager, South Branch Library