[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Confusion about Circulation Modifiers

Rogan Hamby rogan.hamby at yclibrary.net
Thu Jan 16 11:22:30 EST 2014

Do circ modifiers define the kind of material, such as Book, DVD, etc.... ?
 Well, not by definition but often yes.  Circ modifiers are literally a
variable to pass for circulation.  So they can be things like BOOK, VIDEO,
etc.... or they could be 14-DAY, 21-DAY, etc.... or anything else.  You
wouldn't use the durations unless your setup is so simple that you don't
need to distinguish the items further but if you do that's really nice -
libraries not in a consortium can do that a lot of time.  But for the rest
of us it's often useful to define the circ mods by the material type but
that's a choice we're making.  Still, we keep it as simple as we can.  So
for example, we had libraries that perhaps had BOOK and CHILD BOOK but
since they both circulated for 14 days they were all consolidated to just
be BOOK.  Circ mods don't show up to patrons, only staff, another sign that
they are for circulation configuration not an identifier to help
distinguish items.

As an FYI SCLENDS does that and we always type the circ mods in all caps so
we know that when send communication about a book we're talking about an
item and when we mention BOOK we mean the circ mod.  That's handier than
you would think.  And we use material types for some of the same reasons
you do, library A circulates a BOOK for a different time period than
library B does.

And you can absolutely have everyone use the same circ mods - in fact if
you don't you'll probably create a mess over time.  The circ mods will all
show up together so having circ mods not in common use can cause big
cataloging problems.  It's far easier to just have Library A have Circ
Policy A for BOOK and Library B have Policy B for BOOK than the same number
of policies for different circ mods.