[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Holdings Subfield: Circulating Library

Donald Butterworth don.butterworth at asburyseminary.edu
Fri Jul 11 09:58:08 EDT 2014

Colleagues,

We are making some progress as we wrestle through circulation policy
configurations.  Here's the latest issue. We would like to configure more
of our polices at the "System" org unit level, since our branches have
essentially the same checkout parameters, but for us there is a
complication because of how copy/item records enter Evergreen.

All of our purchased titles enter Evergreen with copy/item records via a
962 tag attached to the permanent bib record. The owning library code can
be imported in a subfield but not a circulating library, because there is
no Holding Subfield in the Provider Record listed as an option.

If we use the system level code (ATS) as the owning library subfield our
circulation parameters could be simplified, but it would mean manually
adding the circulating library to each item record manually for all
purchases, so that the correct circulating library displays in the PAC. If
we use the branch level code (ATS-KY for example) as the owning library the
circulating library is the same as the owning library, but it increases the
complexity of the circulation policies.

Catch 22. We think this complication would be solved if one of the Holdings
Subfield options was Circulating Library. Or am I just out to lunch? A
decided possibility.

Don

--
Don Butterworth