[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen for Academics

Kelly Drake kelly at flo.org
Mon Jul 21 10:11:50 EDT 2014

Dear Evergreen Community,

For the past year, Fenway Libraries Online (FLO), a consortium of 10
academic libraries in Boston, has been considering a migration to
Evergreen. Many members of the Evergreen community met and spoke with
members of FLO during this year’s annual conference in Boston. Thank you
for your time, patience and information. All your comments and suggestions
convinced us to continue pursuing a migration to Evergreen.

Our investigation also suggested that it would be helpful to build
an academic interest group within the larger Evergreen community.  This
group would be focused solely on academic issues as they relate to the ILS.
Several existing Evergreen libraries and consortia have already expressed
interest in the group and we have tentatively called it
"Academics for Evergreen".

To be most effective, Academics for Evergreen would be composed of any
individuals or institutions that have an interest in enhancing the
academic-related functions of Evergreen. Once formed, the group will
identify the academic-related functions that most need attention and work
to build knowledge, consensus, and resources to move moving these issues
forward.  So far we have identified a few of the possible issues, such as
streamlined creation and management of authority records, enhanced search
and browse by authority, support for multiple subject heading schema,
improved staff workflows and possible improvements to course reserves
integration. This list is by no means exhaustive and needs the
participation of the Evergreen community to improve and refine it.

Please respond and let us know if you are interested, have suggestions for
moving these issues forward, or if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Kelly Drake
Systems Librarian
Fenway Libraries Online