[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] misc_util.tt2 and our 508 tag...

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mvlc.org
Fri Jul 25 09:01:40 EDT 2014

On 07/24/2014 05:31 PM, Lazar, Alexey Vladimirovich wrote:

> Yes, but probably safest not to experiment on a live system. Also, if
> you are not using this approach already, consider using a separate
> folder for your locally customized template files. Otherwise they
> would get overwritten by the next upgrade. Having a separate
> directory for customized files would also let you more easily keep
> track of differences and cross-merge with template files from newer
> versions.

I highly recommend that you learn to use git if you are going to
customize your catalog or other bits of Evergreen. You can keep your
customizations in their own branches in your local git repository and
can check their compatibility with future releases of Evergreen by
merging them from time to time.

git makes it a lot easier to manage changes to files than just
eyeballing them or using other command line tools like diff, etc. In
fact, git is designed to do nothing but manage differences in files
across development and other branches.

You can also track Evergreen development via git, as well as checkout
just the branches for the releases that interest you. That is, you can
install official Evergreen releases from git checkouts. Using git does
not mean you have to install the master branch.

--
Jason Stephenson
Assistant Director for Technology Services
Email: jstephenson at mvlc.org